It’s anti-Donald Trump versus pro-Hillary Clinton 24/7. As with the left-leaning media in the U.K. recently trying to affect the Brexit vote outcome, which they lost, the majority of the left/liberal media in the United States are involved in their own election campaign.
How? Through a type of sensationalized reportage called Yellow Journalism which was made famous in the late 19th century by New York City publishers Joseph Pulitzer and William Randolph Hearst. It is reportage that exaggerates, is not too worried about the facts and tells only one side of a story.
Fast forward to 2016. The purpose for the liberal media’s yellow journalism now is to make sure Democratic candidate Hillary Clinton gets elected and, in so doing, making sure Republican candidate Donald Trump does not. In doing so, ridicule seems to be the main strategy.
Take for instance my featured image of a 1998 New York Times column on Yellow Journalism. Oh, the irony! On the left side is the 1998 column. On the right side are a running list of today’s headlines. The first is “Donald Trump’s Draft Deferments: Four for College, One for Bad Feet.” Another is “How the ‘Stupid Party’ Created Donald Trump.”
The underlying media message in that approach? Democracy be damned!
Yes, I am Canadian. But, living so close to the U.S. border in Niagara, and having so many American friends, I am very much tuned in to American politics. And, if not for such conservative news outlets as Fox and Breitbart, little would have been heard or read this side of the border. In fact, the CBC and the private networks tend to only report positive news about Clinton and negative news about Trump. And so it seems, Canadian networks want Clinton elected as well.
Anyway, my apologies for this post being long, but here are a few examples of left/liberal media group think and yellow journalism, both during and after the Republican (RNC) and Democratic Conventions (DNC).
(1) At the DNC Convention, most of Bernie Sanders’ supporters were outraged that he endorsed Clinton without so much as a complaint and the left/liberal media did not say or write much about their anger — compared to how they reported all disagreement expressed at the RNC Convention. Little was also said or written about the #DNCleaks and how the DNC had been doing their utmost during the entire primary season to sabotage Sanders.
(2) It was only after the close of the DNC Convention that I saw the video of the one minute of silence for the fallen police officers. During that minute, Black Lives Matter chants were heard in the background. BLM were also protesting outside the Convention but very little was said in the left/liberal media about those protests.
(3) At the DNC Convention Vice-President Joe Biden said it was a bunch of malarkey that Trump cared about working people. Like, who is he to judge? How does he know? Had Trump made a reverse charge, the liberal media would have been all over him to prove his statement.
(4) Then, there is the issue of honouring those who have died in the service of their country. First, Pat Smith, mother of the U.S. Ambassador to Libya, Christopher Stevens, who was murdered when Hillary Clinton was Secretary of State, spoke at the RNC Convention. I read nothing positive in the liberal media after her talk. In fact, it has been said that Clinton called Smith a liar. Can you imagine how the Democratic friendly media would react if Trump had called anyone a liar?
(5) However, when Khizr Khan and his wife, who lost their son (Army Captain Humayun Khan) in Iraq, criticized Donald Trump for wanting to limit Muslim immigration from certain countries, the media pounced on Trump with a vengeance and they treated the Khans with a reverence they did not give Smith.
In my opinion, the politicization of the younger Khan’s death was disrespectful to his memory as well as unnecessary. He died a hero in Iraq as a result of a car bomb being detonated by two suicide bombers — a horror for his parents certainly but totally unrelated to what Americans are experiencing in 2016. However, I believe Ray Starmann explains the current reality facing Americans today best in his open letter to Mr. Kahn (H/T NewsWatchCanada).
(6) Yet, when DNC pro-Clinton speakers said they would keep America safe, little was heard or read in the left/liberal media about how many, if not most, Americans do not feel safe right now, given how many Americans have died at the hands of Islamic extremists. For example, Americans not only died abroad during the past few years, but in San Bernardino, California, Orlando, Florida and Fort Hood, Texas as well. In other words, Americans know that Americans are dying at the hands of lone wolf Islamic extremists at home. However, it was like everyone who had anything to do with the DNC Convention was in denial of that reality — including and most especially President Obama.
(7) Then yesterday, the New York Post published nude photos of Trump’s wife, Melania, with the headline Ogle Office. (H/T Jack’s Newswatch) The underlying message? She is a tramp and unworthy to be the First Lady. Why such misogyny and sexism related only to Trump? What about Bill Clinton’s behaviour with women not his wife?
Of course, there is actually a solution to the current increase in Yellow Journalism in the U.S. It may be naive to suggest, but that media, both liberal and conservative, could report the news and facts on both candidates fairly, no matter how positive or negative those facts are. The result? American voters would be able to make informed decisions about who to vote for in November.